Saturday, December 18, 2010

Santa Baby

I love Santa. Yep, I said it. I believe! Which is one of the reasons I love the movie The Polar Express and the first Santa Claus movie with Tim Allen. In my house Santa is real. Wait, just read on, you'll understand in a minute.

Now I know many people not only don't believe in Santa, but they also frown upon me encouraging my children to believe. Well I have a question for you...

Is the act of giving without expecting or getting anything in return (such as a gift in return or even the "thank you's" and "your so wonderful" personal fulfillment's) a bad thing? Of course not.

My older children (who range from my step-daughter who will be 22 Christmas day, daughters at home ages 15, 13, and 13) love Santa. When they reached the age of question and "hey...!!!" I taught them how much fun it is to be Santa. To give in secret without anything in return. Not only do they love being Santa to their younger siblings (ages 7 and 2), but also to others they don't even know. We have many times bought gifts for less fortunate and they got to be Santa (using their own money and mine as well). And of course there are those not so random acts of kindness to others.

We have the book "The Elf On The Shelf" that we read and "Smidge" our Elf is moved daily by my husband (because he gets up at 4:30 AM). Of course the behavior reinforcement is helpful, but its more of a tradition of fun and giving to believe in Santa.

I have read and researched the history of Santa. I read the information about "lying to your children". Is it a lie? Really? Giving gifts is fun. Giving gifts anonymously is even more fun. If giving gifts isn't fun for you then you should really stop doing it.

When I was 4 years old my Mother told me that Santa's Elves hid the presents for each house in that house to make Christmas easier on Santa. So of course I searched high and low for those presents. My Mother warned me that if the Elves caught me searching for the presents they would be very angry. So I was careful. As I opened the sliding closet door in our hallway, a yard stick fell and scraped the door all the way down which made a horrible sound, I ran screaming to my room! I thought the Elves had caught me. It took me 2 more days, but I found the presents. In hind-sight, I think it took me longer because I avoided the closets, and they were in the top of the guest room closet. True story, by the way.

Did my Mother lie to me? Technically. Am I angry with her for lying? Do I trust her less because of this? NO. I love Christmas, everything about it. Do I understand the original meaning of Christmas (Christianity wise)? Yes. Does it make me a bad Christian for believing in Santa and encouraging my children to believe or be Santa? NO.  (and anyone who has a Christmas tree in their house better not give me any Pagan believing crap over Santa. Because the Christmas Tree has Pagan roots too!)

Anyway, I love Christmas. I love shopping, buying, wrapping, and giving gifts to my friends and family. I love giving more than I love receiving...seriously. I love Christmas baking, decorating, smells, music, and lights. I miss my family and friends so far away in California and wish we could all be together. But most of all, I love the way everyone seems to change during the Christmas season, a little more polite, a little nicer, more generous, and many more smiles than the rest of the year. And I am not talking about the children who are worrying about Santa knowing whether they are being Naughty or Nice!

So if you love Christmas and Santa but your children are starting to doubt you, a kid at school spoiled it with their negativism, or someone else ruined the Santa fun with their bah humbug mentality...teach your children to be Santa. Buy some gifts for a charity, take some donations to a shelter, give your time at a food bank or soup kitchen, or just do something in the giving spirit anonymously together with your children,(have one sneak over to your older neighbors and shovel their snow without them knowing...that's a fun one!)

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!!!

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts. -Author Unknown
I would like to add:
If you don't think your family has any nuts, then your the nut!


13 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower via Google Friend Connect. :) Found you through the Blog Hop! :) Hopefully you can stop by! I have a great giveaway for Mango Languages Bundle ($250 Value) & more coming up :)

    -Ai Mei
    StudentSavingBucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas and Santa too! I just cannot help it. I mean who doesn't! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thanks for hooking up at the Sunday Strolling Blog hop. :)
    I love Santa too! We told our oldest last year about the whole Santa thing, and at first I was sad {only 11}. But this year, he asked us so many questions.. if he ever was real. I said yes and he still is. Thats' the great thing about Santa, he's in all of us. I may be your Santa but, those families less fortunate that somehow get presents for their kids... that's Santa.
    Giving to those that would otherwise not have is the magic of Christmas and Santa. I think it made him feel better and he wants to sponsor a family now! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha cute quote :)
    I have never seen this side of the Santa !
    My 10 year old is starting to doubt and i told her when you will stop believing i will have to buy gifts for you. I love being Santa by the way ! It is the coolest thing ! I am so sure my girl will find the gifts at some point. I just love the magic of all. we all need to believe in magic !
    Enjoyed your blog today !
    Happy blog hop ! Come follow me back and see my blog !
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,I found you Relax and Surf Sunday blog hop..If you get a chance stop by,Id love a follow back http://beachbabys.blogspot.com/


    Happy Holidays.Great Blog and post..I love Christmas..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am your new follower from Meet And Follow Sunday. See you. Have great weekend.

    You can visit me here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a new follower from the Relax and Surf blog hop. Look forward to reading your blog. I'm just getting started but I hope you'll follow me as well. :)
    http://dutchgirlsfavoritethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a Santa believer as well. Enjoyed the story on how your family keeps Santa alive. Following you from Relax and Surf blog hop. Hope you stop by.
    All in the Life of Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog from Relax and Surf, and I love this Santa idea!!! My son is only 1, but I think what you do with your kids is great, and I hope that I can do something similar down the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! I am following you back:-)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for joining Say Hi Sunday! I'm now following you back. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Heather!!! by the way love your name, its mine too!! Thank you for stopping by my little blog! Im following back!!! I totally believe in Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm following you back! :) Hope you have an awesome holiday! :)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

HONOR ME WITH YOUR COMMENT