Sunday, January 2, 2011

Common Sense

At what point in  most people's lives does common sense become evident? If it ever does, because we all know people who never seem to have understood common sense. However, that's really not what I am referring to. I mean common sense in our children. When does common sense make it to the part of their brains they use? Although as I write this I am thinking to myself I really do know a lot of people who can't seem to use or have any common sense whatsoever...so I guess we can open it up to everyone.

Now of course using the 2 year old as an example is much more fun and understandably he hasn't reached the common sense territory as of yet. But like I said its is fun, so here it goes.

Over the last few days my sons favorite thing to do has become going upstairs (under the disguise he is going to his room to play, more of an assumption on all of our parts) and taking a lovely glass ball ornament from the small Christmas tree that overlooks the foyer below, and tossing it over the railing to the floor below. It makes the most amazing popping and smashing noise all at once. I can see where he would be mesmerized by this fun activity. It is kinda cool, the noise, the blast radius of the colored glass ornament, and the sparkly mess left behind. Not to mention the words that daddy seems to shout out each and every time he does it. Then someone comes running, turns on the vacuum and cleans up the mess.
To a 2 year old, that's some serious entertainment! To mommy and daddy its a pain in the tush and a worry someone will step in the glass and cut their foot open (daddy worries about mommy doing it mostly because I clean it up a lot and I am a total klutz).
So common sense says don't throw ornaments and break them on purpose, no matter how cool the sound, because someone could get hurt. Easy one, right?

Photobucket


Common sense has many different interpretations which I found very interesting (which means it will be boring to you so I promise to be brief with this stuff). According to Aristotle, the common sense is an actual power of inner sensation (as opposed to the external five senses) whereby the various objects of the external senses (color for sight, sound for hearing, etc.) are united and judged. Where John Locke proposed one meaning of "common sense", each of the senses gives input, and then something integrates the sense-data into a single impression. This something is what Locke sees as the common sense — the sense of things in common between disparate impressions.

Ok so enough philosophical stuff for you that can be confusing and mind boggling therefor if it doesn't directly have any affect on you, its boring. But to me interesting.

So how does the average teenager gain and begin to use common sense? That is the mystery. There seems to be a time between toddler hood and teenager where they can understand common sense and actually use it, but then it slips away like a thief in the night.

I think they know about common sense, understand it, and could use it if the situation demanded it (to acquire something they wanted or for their own personal safety of course), but there is that "teenager code" that states although they are allowed to be kind, loving, supportive, and even helpful at times, but they must also fight all laws of nature tooth and nail. I swear if my girls could defy gravity, just to prove they could, they would!

I have far too many examples of no common sense in my teen aged girls that would fill this post to the brim of complete boredom and who wants to read all that? Not me. You know what your kids are like when they have no common sense. Well mine are the same...and sometimes worse.

The battle for common sense in our home is like the picture above...rolling waves, pounding surf, unreachable to anyone out there in the waves... so apparently if you can grab it, contain it, and use common sense in your life your a set above the rest!

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." Ralph Waldo Emerson



13 comments:

  1. Explaining why some of us eat our young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Blog hopping from Monday’s Blog Hop. What a great blog I needed a good laugh thanks! New follower. Would love for you to stop by if you get a chance http://giveawayblogdom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!! I'm your newest follower!! :-) Following you from "Making friends Twitter & Blogger Style" Hops! I hope you can stop back to my blog and say hello!

    Blog: babysbreathhandmade.blogspot.com

    Facebook Fan Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/BabysBreathHM

    ETSY:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/babysbreathhandmade

    Twitter:http://twitter.com/BabysBreathHM

    Xoxo
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. stopping by from monday hops- i'm your newest gfc follower

    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you via Tuesday Blog Trail. Hope you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-234-tuesday-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new follower, stopping by from the new Blog Bounce at Raising My 5 Sons!
    Stop by my blog sometime! :-)

    http://childrenchoresandchocolate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new follower from the Mid Week Mingle. Check us out too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Stopping by from the hop...I already follow!

    Kristin :)
    Keenly Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you e-mail me at couponmomma2010 @hotmail.com I can provide a couple of pointers about reviews. I would also check out pitch it to me. I am not sure if they are accepting new members but they are a good source and have a small how to section. The Product Review Place can help as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Already a follower, just stopping by from Midweek Mingle Blog Hop!

    Anna, The Pilot's Wife
    Follow My Blog at: The Pilot's Wife Blog
    Follow me on: Twitter
    Like me on: Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am your newest follower from the "Raising my 5 Sons" Blog Bounce. I would love for you to follow me back at http://andersonsangels.blogspot.com

    ~Thanks,
    Trista

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!
    Just a quick reminder to head over and link up to my Welcome Wednesday hop! The linky is now open.

    Frugal Invitation
    http://www.frugalinvitation.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SO true!! Some days I wonder where all the common sense has gone. I am a SAHM of five also and think my kids might wonder the same about me at times :) Come visit sometime www.foodfunandfotos.com

    ReplyDelete

HONOR ME WITH YOUR COMMENT